Believe or not, childhood hunger is real in America! Just check these key factual statistics about childhood hunger in our country:
- 1 in 5 childcare in the US live in households without consistent access to adequate food;
- 10 million children, nearly half of eligible children, do not receive free or reduced price school breakfast;
- 3 out of 5 K-8 public school teachers report regularly seeing student coming to school hungry.
Make Breakfast Happen so Kids Can Be Hungry for More – is the slogan that HUNGER IS has created in partnership with the Safeway Foundation about expanding breakfast programs and providing children with a healthy start to their day.
The solution to end childhood hunger in America is really a partnership between the programs driven by the Hunger Is Campaign and the commitment of the community (us) to participate and contribute towards the same goal. This morning, I went to Safeway of McLean, VA, one of the participating local retailers in area to support this campaign. In my personal life, I lead a non-profit organization to help the local families in need to get the health, education and social services they need to sustain a dignified and honorable life just as we all deserve to have.
Because I truly believe in helping others, especially and more so children, our future, the future of our country, I urge you to participate in such a worthy cause. Remember that giving to the community is priceless. Here is how you can and where to help. Take a note.
How and Where to Help to End Childhood Hunger in America
Depending on your geographic location you may have to go to a different local store. There are 2 ways you can participate between September 1 – 30:
- Purchase participating product brands. If you are in the East Coast, please visit your local Safeway Store and looks for the Hunger IS Banner and the participating product brands
- Donate at the register. When ready to pay, you will get the option to donate by adding a $1, $3, or $5, or any dollar amount to your total purchase.
Swing by any Safeway store in your neighborhood and make your contribution to end childhood hunger!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Albertsons Companies & Hunger Is. The opinions, shopping experience and text are all mine.