Spring weekends mean picnic time with family and friends, and it is important we take care the right measures for keeping our food safe while outdoors for long periods of time.
Preparing, serving and eating safe food is important. We must constantly practice safe food handling to avoid illness. Here are some food safe picnics tips so that you make the best of your fun time outdoors:
Keep cold foods cold, below 41ºF.
- Chill all means, egg products, starchy salads, and custards to below 41ºF before packing for the picnic.
- Put cold food into a well insulated, lidded cooler with ice around it.
- Put cooler in the passenger area of your car rather than in the hot trunk.
- Keep your cooler in the shade and avoid opening and shutting the lid too often.
Don't spread the bacteria, which may infect the food and ultimately you.
- Wash your hands before working with food.
- Wash your hands again after working with raw meat or poultry.
- Put the cooked meat onto a clean plate for service.
Cook meat thoroughly to an internal temperature of 160ºF and serve immediately.
- Put leftover in the refrigerator immediately when you get home if you have not been gone more than 4 hours.
Providing you followed this food safe picnic tips, your food should be safe to keep and eat even the next day!!
– The Moms Buzz