When we think of adding calcium supplements to our daily diet, typically we think of older women in their fifties who may be proned to osteoporosis, but studies have shown that as early as teenage years women should be consistently obtaining an adequate daily dose of calcium from their diet to maintain healthy bones, and strong for later in life.
As women need 1000 mg of daily calcium, while teen girls need 1300 mg of daily calcium to meet recommended daily requirements! The following facts are worrisome about calcium deficiency in teenage girls published a few years ago, and this is why it is important as women and mothers to keep an eye on our daughter’s calcium intake.
Facts about Calcium Intake by Teen Girls
- According to a 2010 study published in The Journal of Nutrition, 86% of teen girls do not get enough calcium in their daily diets.
- With 95% of peak bone mass is present by age 20, this is not a good time to be calcium deficient.
- Teens have to start banking calcium early because they will lose it slowly later in life.
- In a recent federal survey, only 15 percent of high school students drink milk; 9% of them were teen girls.
- A 2009 Pediatrics study found that low Vitamin D levels are especially common among girls, adolescents and those with darker skin, according to the analysis of a nationally representative sample of more than 6,000 children. (59 percent of African American teenage girls were Vitamin D deficient). Vitamin D is needed to absorb calcium from food sources or supplements.
- Learn more about teen calcium needs at http://viactiv.com/teens.php.
A Convenient and Tasty Way to Maintain Healthy Bones
As you can image, teenage years are challenging by nature for both parents and children, and getting them to make healthy diet choices while they are on the go and active is hard. Personally, I do not like to take much pills so for some time now, I have been using the Viactiv Calcium Soft Chews, and I gladly accepted to talk about them for their #BeActiv Campaign.
One Viactiv Calcium Soft Chew (500 mg of calcium and 500 IU of Vitamin D) taken twice daily provides 100% of the daily value of calcium for most women plus vitamins D and K. Plus, I just find that Viactiv Calcium Soft Chews are not only tasty (available in milk chocolate and caramel flavors) but also it is easy to take in. Unlike other calcium supplements, you chew them and they won’t get stuck at the end of your tongue and make you gag. Besides, it is so easy to carry in your bag, that you can carry many at a time and chew one as soon as you remember. Especially, for teen girls this is a nice advantage because you can drop 2 chews in her lunch box every day to ensure she keeps up with her daily 1300 mg of calcium requirements for her age.