We all love leather upholstery because of its durability and easy cleaning especially when children are around. However, just as it is durable and easy to clean, it requires a different care to maintain its durability and good condition. Moms Buzz got these wonderful leather upholstery care tips from Martha Stewart’s Homekeeping Handbook, which we find very useful for the busy mom.
How to Care for Your Leather Upholstery – 10 Useful Tips
- Keep it at least 2 feet away from heating vents and radiators, which will dry leather out.
- Protect the upholstery from the sun, that is, windows or skylights, which will cause fading.
- Dust weekly with a dry microfiber cloth or the dust-brush tool attachment on your vacuum.
- To keep wrinkles to a minimum, turn and fluff cushions weekly.
- Never use soaps, detergents, dusting sprays, furniture polish, solvents or oils.
- Blot spills immediately with a soft, dry white cloth.
- To remove a stain, blot with a white cloth dampened with lukewarm water. Do not rub. Allow air-dry (never hasten the process with a hair-dryer).
- For stubborn stains such as ink, call a professional leather upholstery cleaner.
- Every 3 to 6 months, depending upon use, clean with commercial leather cleaner, such as Leather Master.
- Never place newspapers or magazines on the upholstery; inks may bleed onto the leather causing permanent damage. (Would have never thought of this one!)
– The Moms Buzz