Just in time, soccer cupcakes to celebrate such an amazing win by the US Soccer Team at the World Cup for Women. I thought it would be a good idea to share a simple and fun idea to decorate cupcakes to celebrate and wrap up a successful soccer season.
With three different sports schedules for my children, I usually always pick the last practice to volunteer the snacks and drinks. That way, I won’t forget. Since my daughter plays soccer on the fall and spring, I prefer to bring something that it is healthy and at the same time fun for the players. Last season, I brought home made soccer banana cupcakes.
The recipe for my banana cupcakes that my children absolutly love is in a previous post I made for Halloween. Check it out here. Instead of a Halloween decoration, I will show how to make it for a soccer theme.
Soccer Cupcakes – Decoration
Ingredients for the Frosting & Grass
- 1 box of Domino confectioners sugar or the brand of your preference.
- 1 bar of unsalted butter.
- 1 bar of cream cheese, brand of your preference.
- 1 bag of coconut flakes.
- 1 pot of green food coloring. I used Wilton.
- 1 small spatula or knife.
- Buy a bag of soccer rings in Amazon.com. The bags usually comes with about 25 rings.
Instructions for the Grass
- Put ½ the bag of the coconut flakes in a medium to large ziplock bag.
- Add 3-4 mini spoonfuls of the green coloring.
- Mix well the coconuts flakes and the food coloring until the flakes turn green.
- Put the contents of the ziplock in an open bowl or soup plate.
Instructions for the Frosting
- Cut the bar of unsalted butter in medium pieces or thick slices. It just makes the blending easier.
- In your mixer bowl, put all the rest of the ingredients: butter pieces, confectioners sugar and cream cheese plus the green food coloring, another 3 or maybe more mini spoonfuls until your frosting turns into the hue of green you desire.
- Have a kitchen towel handy when you start your mixer as the confectioner’s sugar will dust out of the mixer. To avoid that start your mixer at a very slow speed, cover it with your kitchen towel and then turn the speed up slowly until there is not more powder coming out.
- Mix well. If it is too thick, you may pour a drop of milk to soften it. But, for these cupcakes it is better that the frosting is thick.
Decorating the Cupcakes
- Once the cupcakes are room temperature, you can spread the green frosting with the small spatula as to cover 100% of the top of the cupcakes.
- Then, dip the cupcake onto the bowl of green grass and the flakes will automatically stick to the frosting.
- Top with the Soccer ring and voilà you got your soccer cupcakes!
If you have other ideas for soccer cupcakes, I would love to hear about them. Leave me a comment below.