Having really straight hair is really in. Although straight hair is really popular in younger crowds, still busy moms can flat iron their hair for a really nice young and chic look. The other day that I went to do my hair at the salon, my hair stylist gave me 5 top tips for flat-ironing hair. Some of these tips may apply to other finishes for hair styling as well:
5 Top Tips for Flat-Ironing Hair
- Shampoo it right. The shampoo you use is really important. When you want to have really straight hair and then want to flat-iron it, use a smoothing and anti-frizz shampoo; do NOT use a voluminizing shampoo, it will do exactly the opposite! The one she recommended me was Kérastase Nutritive Bain Oléo-Relax. This shampoo is expensive. But, since I would only use it for this particular hair styling, which I do just occasionally, I went ahead and bought it as it will last me a while.
- Do the normal thing. Proceed with your regular conditioning.
- Masque it. Use a hair masque that will extra-moisturize your hair, especially your ends. The one she recommended me was Bumble and Bumble Bb Creme de Coco Masque. What I usually do is leave it there for about 2-3 minutes while I am finishing up with my shower and then rinse.
- Dry it. One of the key tips for flat-ironing your hair is that it has to be completely dry! You may use your hair-dryer, of course, but try not to add volume to the hair. Dry it downward with a brush or comb.
- Heat-protect it. We all know that heat dries out your hair and causes split ends, and what not, so it is important to spritz your hair with a thermal solution right before flat-ironing. The product my stylist recommends is Cibu Shashini Thermal Shine Solution made out of sunflower oil. It adds shines, maintains color and protects from heat styling. I love it!
Next time you want to do this yourself follow these steps and you will be impressed how well you did. Of course, it will not look like when you go to the salon, but quite close! 😉
– The Moms Buzz